20 Low Carb and Keto Friendly Snacks to Kickoff the Super Bowl
The biggest game of the season is happening next month: The Super Bowl. Super Bowl Sunday is second only to Thanksgiving when it comes to eating a lot of food. Most Super Bowl snacks and meals are usually heavy in carbs and calories, rich, and generally not very healthy for your body.
But if you want some low carb, ketogenic recipes for your game day snacking, we’ve got you covered. We’ve put together a list of delicious, low carb recipes for snacks and keto friendly potluck food to bring to any Super Bowl party.
1. Keto Cold Cuts
Cold cuts and cheese roll-ups are a very simple snack to prepare, and are perfect for gameday. All you need is to choose your favorite deli meats and cheeses, and maybe some toothpicks for keeping rolls intact. Roll the meat and cheese together, and voila, a yummy game day snack.
Our favorite combos are:
- Pepperoni and mozzarella. Add some sliced tomato inside, perhaps some basil, and it’s like a keto friendly pizza, but without the crust.
- Salami and cream cheese. Spread some cream cheese on a slice or two and roll it up like a cannoli.
- Prosciutto, provolone, and cooked asparagus. Combine them for a delightfully fancy platter.
- Roast beef and swiss. Roast beef and swiss goes together like the Super Bowl and Super Bowl ads.
2. Simple Keto Snacks
There are a lot of keto snacks that are easy to prepare and require very little ingredients. Most involve cheese, which is an extra bonus in our book.
Here’s a few simple and fast keto snack recipes you can prepare before the game starts:
- Cauliflower bites. Most keto lifestyles include a healthy portion of cauliflower into their diets, as it can be a substitute for anything. Our favorite is to bake it over our favorite spices, or to eat it raw.
- Celery with Cream Cheese is a tasty ketogenic snack because celery is a negative calorie food. As in, no calories. Add some cream cheese on top, and it’s a very filling and satisfying low carb snack.
- Caprese salad. No, Super Bowl Sunday isn’t a day for salad bowls, but caprese salads, filled with their mozzarella balls, tomatoes and olive oil, bridge the gap between gameday and date night food.
3. Keto-friendly Dips
Dips are a Super Bowl staple. There’s many dips that are low carb and ketogenic-friendly, so you can stay in ketosis while you chow down.
- Guacamole. Avocado, lime, tomatoes, and an endless array of extras can be combined for the perfect gameday guacamole.
- Spinach and artichoke dip. Creamy and delicious, spinach and artichoke dip is a delicious low calorie option.
- Layered dips. Line a glass baking dish with cream cheese. Add cooked ground beef seasoned with your favorite flavors. Add cheese on top. Bake until the cheese melts and bubbles. Enjoy!
- Buffalo chicken dip. Buffalo chicken dip is a watch party classic. Fortunately, almost all buffalo chicken dip recipes are ketogenic. Just try not to eat too much.
4. Keto-friendly Chips
While there’s no shortage of good ketogenic dip options, finding viable keto chip replacements can be a bit more tough. Luckily, we’ve compiled a good list of alternatives to fill your cravings.
- Melted cheese. Heat Cheese on wax baking paper in your microwave until it gets hard and crunchy – . What’s better to scoop up cheesy dips than even more cheese?
- Veggies. Bell peppers, celery, cucumber slices, cauliflower and more can be used to dip into various offerings. Keep in mind that carrots actually have a higher carb count than other vegetables and might not be the best choice for dipping.
- Baked Pepperoni. Bake or microwave pepperoni slices until the harden into a crunchy, strong consistency. A delicious low carb chip alternative.
- Pork Rinds. Pork rinds and pigskins. A match made in heaven.
- Flax crackers. For those hoping to emulate actual chips and crackers, crackers made of flaxseed concoctions offer a very healthy, keto cracker to enjoy.
5. Keto Potluck Food
Sometimes, if you’re hosting a party, snacks just don’t cut it. If you’re looking for a keto recipe that’s more filling and that you can make a lot of party guests, here’s a few that require cooking or bake time.
- Chicken Wings. Sold in almost every sports bar in America, grilled chicken wings, marinated in low sugar, low carb seasonings, are the perfect fit for any Super Bowl conversation.
- Keto Corn Dog Muffins require a couple of ingredients, but only take about 20 minutes to cook in the oven. Here’s a great recipe if you’d like to make them: Corn Dog Muffins by Craig.
- Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza is possible. If you’re wondering how a pizza can be a pizza without bread, it’s possible with the use of almond flour or cauliflower. Here’s a good recipe that uses almond flour for the crust: Keto Pizza by Craig.
- Low Carb Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms are protein and veggie delights that can be customized with different sauces, cheeses, and toppings. Feel free to have fun by making a platter of options for guests to “build your own burger.” Here’s a good how-to recipe: Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms by Nicole
6. Low Carb Alcohol
If you’re planning on drinking on game day, there are actually several low carb drinks to enjoy. A ketogenic diet doesn’t have to mean no alcohol, although you do need to be careful with sugary drinks and carb-heavy drinks, like mixed cocktails and some beers.
Most clear liquors, other than flavored options, that are about 40% alcohol are considered low carb. Vodka, tequila and gin, mixed with seltzer or water are the best bets. Always avoid sweetened and flavored liquors when buying though. Not only are they not ketogenic, but Fruit-Loop flavored vodka isn’t necessarily in the spirit of Super Bowl Sunday.
If you’re jonesing for a cold one to relax with while watching the game, stick to light beers. Coors Light has 5 carbs per can, Bud Light has 6. Keep your intake in moderation and you’ll be cleared for a beer or two.
It’s important to keep in mind that most people need less alcohol to feel buzzed when on a ketogenic diet because they’re in ketosis. Be careful when drinking, and make sure to stay hydrated. We hope you enjoy these keto-friendly food options and have fun on game day! If you’re interested in discussing a ketogenic diet with Blue Tree Health, get in touch today.